Your Favourite Maggi Could Be Killing You Slowly. Here’s Why


The country’s favourite 2-minute snack might soon be banned. Maggi samples have been found to contain monosodium glutamate (MSG) and lead in amounts that exceed the permissible limit.

A few samples of Maggi were collected in Uttar Pradesh and tested for permissible ingredients. And the results have put to question an entire nation’s health. The Lucknow Food Safety and Drug Administration has written to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) asking to cancel the licence for Maggi.

FSDA Assistant Commissioner Vijay Bahadur Yadav told The Times Of India:

“We have tested Maggi samples at Kolkata’s referral laboratory. The test results show that there are added monosodium glutamate and excess of lead. We have ordered further sampling.”


Yadav revealed that the tested Maggi samples contained 17 parts per million of lead. The permissible limit is a mere 0.01 parts per million lead.

Nestle denied the allegations, and said they don’t add MSG to the product at all!

How Can MSG And Lead Ruin Our Health?

Maggi Found To Be Unsafe; FSDA Detects High Levels Of Lead And MSG In It

Most of packaged foods these days contain artificial flavours and preservatives, and their regular consumption is gradually taking a toll on the health of an entire generation.

While we all know how toxic lead is to the body, and can cause serious defects even if present in small quantities, MSG is a rather silent culprit.Monosodium glutamate is an amino acid that is often added to processed and canned food to enhance flavor.If ingested regularly for long, MSG can build up in your body and cause long-term effects since it overstimulates the nervous system. The temporary side-effects of the chemical include:

1. Nausea

2. Headaches

3. Burning sensation of the mouth and neck

4. Upset stomach

5. Body weakness

Maggi, A Dear Childhood Memory

Maggi Found To Be Unsafe; FSDA Detects High Levels Of Lead And MSG In It
© YouTube

Easy-to-cook and cheap on the pocket, Maggi has been one of the most popularsnacks growing up, and is a hit on college campuses, among hostellers, mountaineers, and perhaps every young kid. The revelation about its potential toxicity feels like a shocking betrayal. It’ll be hard to give up this dear snack that had become an integral part of our lives. What do you think? Tell us your best Maggi story in the comments section.

Photo: © Flickr/Tahir Hashmi (Main Image)

Article Source :